Saturday, July 9, 2011

Saaaturday! In the ... Library?

It's summer.  This should not be happening.  BUT, it is.  You see, I am in the library doing work.  Come August 22nd, I will resume this nightly occurrence with a whole lotta spite, but, today, it seems fun--almost like a vacation!  I packed a bag of snacks (see: sweet tarts, carrots, subway salad, and a now empty bag of ritz toasted chips) and headed to school this morning, well late morning--after a trip to the grocery store for said snacks. 


I needed to come to school because today my roommate is moving out.  She is getting married in a few weeks and needs to move all of her stuff before the big day so today happens to be that big day.  In an attempt to avoid helping not be in the way, I decided I'd finally get around to doing all that work for my second job that I promised to do one month ago.


Yes, I have two jobs.  But really four.  Two are paid (my internship with a corporation here in St. Louis and my part-time/ad hoc law firm job), one is volunteer (my executive board position for my law school's student government), and one into which I dump thousands of dollars into for "the time of my life"--being a bridesmaid.  In three weddings.  In 9 months.  I work 40hrs a week at job one (internship), very rarely at job two (firm), and probably 30hrs a week at jobs three and four combined. 


While three and four are "for good causes" I'm not stopping the AIDS epidemic in Africa nor am I fighting for the impoverished in, say, the Mississippi Delta [for you, Ensley].  Instead I am creating programming for the future lawyers of America and licking envelopes asking someone's friends to buy them "dirty or flirty" lingerie.  Yeah--my life has purpose.


But, I still find time to take a vacation---to the library.  Since being here, I have written numerous e-mails, picked centerpiece for Bride 1's shower, ordered a shower gift for Bride 2, and called to check in with Bride 3 so that she doesn't feel neglected.  I should start charging for my services.  


In the short three hours I have been here, I have also planned how to redecorate the student government office space in the library.  Jeffrey Lewis (and Zoila) would be so proud of me.  Here's hoping $$ actually does grow on trees.  I've written MORE e-mails, typed up documents laying out my plans for a student panel which will be aimed at easing the future lawyers of America into the comforts of unemployment.  Not one of these three hours has helped me generate ANY income.  Not a dime.  And just as I was starting to get to the billable hours, I decide to come on here and write to no one.  Smart cookie, I am.


I have realized that money does talk and ya know what? No one is paying me to type up this message, so ... sionara!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do not feel neglected! But I love when you call to check in :)